About the Zia Ul Ummah Foundation
We give 30,000 underprivileged children a free education
Established in 1925 and based in Birmingham, UK, the Zia Ul Ummah Foundation is an education charity that provides free education to underprivileged children in Pakistan.
We believe all children have the right to quality education, despite their economic background. That’s why all our schools offer free accommodation and school meals, and why we’re so committed to making sure children from poverty-stricken homes still have access to the education they deserve.
What we do
As well as our main school programme, we also have programmes dedicated to supporting scholars, female students and Quran students.
By the time they graduate, our students are ready to lead a life based on Islamic values and principles, but their well-rounded education means they’re equally equipped to meet the challenges of the modern world.
Our methods work. We’re close to 100 years-old, and our graduates are respected lawyers, bankers, teachers, Islamic scholars and international academics who represent the Muslim community in Pakistan and beyond.
All these children need is a chance
It’s our job to find people like you who’ll believe in them, and who are ready to invest in their education.
When you sponsor a child, you’re giving them the opportunity to lift themselves out of poverty and lead a safe, stable and fulfilled life.
As well as promoting access toeducation in Pakistan, we also help the community in other ways. Every day, we serve thousands of people at our food banks for poverty-stricken individuals, and in the winter our emergency appeal keeps vulnerable adults and children warm.
How are we different?
- We’re 94 years old, which makes us one of the oldest education foundations in Pakistan.
- We have strong local knowledge and ties, which makes are on-the-ground team more effective than most.
- We provide long-term support, which means we see children from the start of their educational journey right to the end. We know them, and most importantly, we understand them.
- Girls’ education isn’t an option for us – it’s essential. We know the country’s progress relies on women being educated and being at the forefront of their communities.
- We provide a blended curriculum of secular subjects and Islamic studies, so students don’t have to choose between their worldly life and afterlife.
- As well as providing free education to children who otherwise wouldn’t be in school, all our schools offer free accommodation and school meals, because we understand that education alone is not enough.
What do our beneficiaries say about us?
“I strongly believe in and support the Zia Ul Ummah Foundation because it instils great confidence in its students. My school offered so much more than an education; it provided me with the skills I needed to excel in all areas of my life.”
Vice President of the Islamabad BAR Council
“It was the foundation of my study at Zia Ul Ummah schools that gave me the confidence to come this far. They encouraged kindness, humanity and societal awareness while teaching us to lead an Islamic way of life.”
Dr. Alama Shabaz Ahmed Chishti
Islamic Council New York, Vice Chair
Join our cause
To support one or more of our vital programmes, donate online or call +44 (0)121 270 4786
Image 1: Photo: US Navy Photo by Chris Fahey, NATO Training Mission, Creative Comms License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/ntm-a_cstc-a/7109509971/